Pages

Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Joy Theif

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
John 10:10



Why is it that, when you are following God's will and trying hard to walk His path, it seems like the world is caving in on you?

As I sit here an write this blog, I am in pain. From the left side of my neck to my elbow I hurt, and from my elbow to my thumb I am tingling and numb. Times at work have been stressful and tough. I feel like I am not appreciated and that I am looked down upon because I am a woman. I have friends that I care about whose loved ones are sick either terminally or chronically, and it hurts to see them struggling and not have the words of comfort that they need to make it through the day. My mother-in-law has breast cancer and will be getting her left breast removed on Friday, and while she is in good spirits, I worry. (This was written in a draft last week. My mother-in-law made it through surgery and is doing very well!) I have debt up to my eyeballs and live from paycheck to paycheck. I can complain all night if you want, but I refuse.

The thief, Satan, is trying his best to steal my joy. I had a conversation with my momma a couple of weekends ago about how I just could not understand why so many things were burdening my heart. In one of those light bulb moments she reminded me that it was because I was being obedient and writing about joy and what it means to me. It all makes sense now.

Even though the thief tries to steal my joy and rain down troubles and worry on my life, I am reminded that my God is GREATER than this thief, and it is my God who wins in the end. 

I think about how living for Christ my life is more abundant. Although I have troubles as we all know we are meant to have on this earth, there are people on this planet in far worse condition than I could possibly ever imagine. Satan will come to steal your joy and turn your focus away from God and onto those little gnawing issues that seem to consume your life. It is at that moment you have a choice. Going back to the very beginning, do you choose joy or do you choose to let the thief win? 


Many times I have let the thief take my joy. Many times I realize that giving in to him was totally pointless. I thank God for restoration of joy, grace, and mercy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment